2021 Acura TLX Reviews **2024 TLX Reviews (starting page 70)**

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 02:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,417 Likes on 1,869 Posts
Originally Posted by dmski
It would make sense if they actually ran 3 Series, S4, IS500 and G70 on the same track, compare the times and then made a conclusion. Type S straight line performance is def WEAK but on the track it would probably smoke my S5, beat S4, G70 and would be close to IS500 as well all for a lot less $$$. 10-14% cheaper is not a minor difference. If you are about tuning and going nuts with power, skip Type S for sure and go German.
The Type S was almost 2 seconds behind the IS500 at VIR, and 3.5 behind the M340i. It does edge out the G70 by half a second, but I wouldn’t really say it’s all that great at the track either. It handles well, but its weight and ho-hum power output really hampers it.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a38965891/2021-acura-tlx-type-s-sh-awd-lightning-lap/

The TLX starts off strong, hanging on for 1.00 g through Turn 1. But it works its Pirelli P Zero PZ4 tires so hard that they have only one strong lap in them before getting hot and greasy.

A fast lap in the TLX involves managing turn-in understeer—not surprising for a nose-heavy sedan. The solution is getting back on the power early, as the torque-vectoring all-wheel-drive system helps rotate the TLX through the corner. Dubbed SH-AWD, it's dialed in for racetrack duty. Step into the accelerator while cornering, and the car pivots productively but doesn't aggressively oversteer like some Audis, which had a similar system.

The brake-by-wire setup is touchy, with the pedal's short stroke making it difficult to modulate the braking force. We often got more initial braking than desired and had to back off.

Speaking of brakes, the TLX's really aren't up to track work. Our car was wearing more aggressive dealer-installed pads, and even with the upgrade, the brakes wore out so quickly that the TLX started each of our three lapping days with a brand-new set of both pads and rotors.

That's not to say that the TLX is a slouch. Consider how it stacks up against the impressive Cadillac CT4-V and CT5-V from last year. The TLX and CT4-V trade tenths back and forth through the various sectors, and the Acura's 355-hp turbo V-6 keeps it within a half-second reach of the Caddy.

But the Acura's engine lacks the pull of the CT5-V's 360-hp twin-turbo 3.0-liter V-6. It's also missing the thrust of the 382-hp inline-six in the BMW M340i and it can't keep up with the 472-hp V-8 in the Lexus IS500, both of which will shrink a TLX in their rearview mirrors.

Last edited by fiatlux; 04-06-2024 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-06-2024, 02:49 PM
Safety Car

It’s been beaten to death, but this car is perfect for a road like Angeles Crest. Shame on Acura for launching this somewhere outside of its elements. Regular roads will mask the weight and braking deficiencies, since you aren’t driving more than 7/10ths, and will emphasize the SH-AWD system as you’d be taking more late apex lines but can get on the gas before the apex.
The following users liked this post:
MarcoTLX (04-06-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 09:08 PM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
The Type S was almost 2 seconds behind the IS500 at VIR, and 3.5 behind the M340i.
From that article, the S was 55,445 as tested. The IS500 was 63,620 and there was no comparable 3 series. There was a 2 series and that was still 2 grand more. So 15% more for a 1% difference in a car that's made to be a sport luxury cruiser not a track car. And the IS doesn't have an AWD option which was a must for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by rabbit73:
Legend2TL (04-11-2024), Shadow2056 (04-07-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 07:26 AM
Drifting

Received 1,201 Likes on 861 Posts
Originally Posted by rabbit73
From that article, the S was 55,445 as tested. The IS500 was 63,620 and there was no comparable 3 series. There was a 2 series and that was still 2 grand more. So 15% more for a 1% difference in a car that's made to be a sport luxury cruiser not a track car. And the IS doesn't have an AWD option which was a must for me.
We know that the TLX Type S inhabits a very niche category based on how Acura hedged. Would it be fair to say that the most direct competitor (in both SIZE, PERFORMANCE, and poor FUEL ECONOMY) is the now defunct Stinger GT2 AWD?

https://www.edmunds.com/car-comparis...veh2=401940159

Someone please convince me why the TLX-S survives where the Stinger GT2 does not!
Old 04-07-2024, 07:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 535 Likes on 269 Posts
Acura advertised this car wrong. They advertised it to go up against cars like the M340i, S4, and now the Genesis G70. All with better numbers. Only thing you'll have over them? A couple of interior features like standard heated AND ventilated front seats and remote start. All of them look great but the Type S is more of a sporty daily. The others are more for if you're looking for that raw power in a daily. Acura has never been about squeezing the most out of a engine for the public. Lol. 355hp is plenty for the average person. 382hp(which is more like 395 or even 400) in the M340i is the reason why there are so many found with accidents on the CarFax. 355hp in the AWD Type S is plenty to make it fun, sporty, and(for the right person) plenty to keep up with the usual cars out there.
MarcoTLX (04-08-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 07:36 AM
Drifting

Received 1,201 Likes on 861 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadow2056
Acura advertised this car wrong. They advertised it to go up against cars like the M340i, S4, and now the Genesis G70. All with better numbers. Only thing you'll have over them? A couple of interior features like standard heated AND ventilated front seats and remote start. All of them look great but the Type S is more of a sporty daily. The others are more for if you're looking for that raw power in a daily. Acura has never been about squeezing the most out of a engine for the public. Lol. 355hp is plenty for the average person. 382hp(which is more like 395 or even 400) in the M340i is the reason why there are so many found with accidents on the CarFax. 355hp in the AWD Type S is plenty to make it fun, sporty, and(for the right person) plenty to keep up with the usual cars out there.
Agreed with everything you said but the fact that we need to caveat "for the right person" to describe the TLX-S doesn't bode well!
Shadow2056 (04-08-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 05:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 80 Posts
Acura advertised this car wrong.
I honestly think the marketing department is by far the weakest link for Acura, and has been for some time. They totally misrepresent the products, leading some potential customers to be disappointed when the products don't live up to the hype and probably driving some potential customers away who would be perfectly happy with the products but who don't resonate with the marketing messages.

In addition, they breathlessly rave about unimportant stuff and make ridiculous pronouncements that strain (and erode) credibility. Instead of exaggerating and overpromising, the marketing should focus on ACTUAL differentiators and aim squarely at the true target market. For the TLX-S, that's *not* track racers or drag strip competitors. It's people with a fair bit of disposable income who still want value for their money, who want a car that looks and performs better than most others on the road, and that is loaded with creature comforts and nice tech features. But Acura's marketing department seems to want every TV ad, for instance, to just feature the cars (and sport utes, which is even more ridiculous) drifting around tight corners, plowing around sand dunes, and revving like race cars. I get the concept of "aspirational marketing", but when the aspiration is so far from the reality then the marketing is just a fail.
The following 4 users liked this post by DJ Iceman:
ELIN (04-07-2024), Flapjackura (04-08-2024), mike03a3 (04-07-2024), Shadow2056 (04-08-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 07:13 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 288 Likes on 150 Posts
The M340 was in the previous years LL. As Tested: $64,545
Old 04-08-2024, 09:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 535 Likes on 269 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
Agreed with everything you said but the fact that we need to caveat "for the right person" to describe the TLX-S doesn't bode well!
Meh. I saw "the right person" because most getting the Type S aren't trying to be the fastest thing in their class. They want a little better looks and performance over the regular trim.

Originally Posted by DJ Iceman
I honestly think the marketing department is by far the weakest link for Acura, and has been for some time. They totally misrepresent the products, leading some potential customers to be disappointed when the products don't live up to the hype and probably driving some potential customers away who would be perfectly happy with the products but who don't resonate with the marketing messages.

In addition, they breathlessly rave about unimportant stuff and make ridiculous pronouncements that strain (and erode) credibility. Instead of exaggerating and overpromising, the marketing should focus on ACTUAL differentiators and aim squarely at the true target market. For the TLX-S, that's *not* track racers or drag strip competitors. It's people with a fair bit of disposable income who still want value for their money, who want a car that looks and performs better than most others on the road, and that is loaded with creature comforts and nice tech features. But Acura's marketing department seems to want every TV ad, for instance, to just feature the cars (and sport utes, which is even more ridiculous) drifting around tight corners, plowing around sand dunes, and revving like race cars. I get the concept of "aspirational marketing", but when the aspiration is so far from the reality then the marketing is just a fail.
Truth

ELIN (04-08-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 09:31 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DJ Iceman

But “it’s that kind of thrill”
Old 04-08-2024, 11:07 AM
Instructor

Received 334 Likes on 117 Posts
Meh. I saw "the right person" because most getting the Type S aren't trying to be the fastest thing in their class. They want a little better looks and performance over the regular trim.
Internet culture loves to break everything down to just numbers but you're absolutely right most Type S buyers are just looking for something pretty and enough power for the occasional spirited drive or nice back road. I heavily debated between the S4 and TLX-S and went TLX basically just for style alone as everything else was relatively comparable. I definitely don't notice in my day to day life or occasional spirited driving that 'oh shoot I'm just a little bit slower than an S4!' but I definitely notice how beautiful my car is, how much I love driving it and how often I get people complimenting it or asking questions (not that I bought it to impress others but compliments always feel good lol).

I think the 6G TLX-S will stay high in the list of best looking sedans ever produced by Honda/Acura for a long while.
The following 10 users liked this post by DubPK:
22TypeS (04-09-2024), a35tl (04-08-2024), ELIN (04-08-2024), Flapjackura (04-08-2024), frainc (04-08-2024), JM2010 SH-AWD (04-09-2024), Legend2TL (04-09-2024), MarcoTLX (04-09-2024), obbshu (04-10-2024), Shadow2056 (04-08-2024) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-09-2024, 12:22 PM
3rd Gear

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DubPK
Internet culture loves to break everything down to just numbers but you're absolutely right most Type S buyers are just looking for something pretty and enough power for the occasional spirited drive or nice back road. I heavily debated between the S4 and TLX-S and went TLX basically just for style alone as everything else was relatively comparable. I definitely don't notice in my day to day life or occasional spirited driving that 'oh shoot I'm just a little bit slower than an S4!' but I definitely notice how beautiful my car is, how much I love driving it and how often I get people complimenting it or asking questions (not that I bought it to impress others but compliments always feel good lol).

I think the 6G TLX-S will stay high in the list of best looking sedans ever produced by Honda/Acura for a long while.
I could not agree more. I had a 2021 Genesis G70 3.3T. It was one of the rare late model year imports that had a full 3D digital gauge cluster. I'm the type of person that loves a great balance between tech, performance, looks, affordability and reliability. My G70 was totalled in February this year and the new G70s still do not have a full digital gauge cluster, but some weird half digital/half analog implementation. I didn't like that aesthetic, so I went to look at the '24 TLX Type S. With the addition of the HUD, digital gauge cluster and wireless carplay, it made perfect sense to me. It's about a half second slower 0-60 than the G70, but I don't care. I am not drag racing and I am not taking this car to the track. I wanted, as you stated, "...something pretty and enough power for the occasional spirited drive.." This car is such an awesome daily driver. It feels more solid than the Genesis and from a looks standpoint, I don't think there is a better looking sedan in this segment at all. Is it the most practical, absolutely not. The gas mileage isn't that great, but neither was the G70 and my company pays for my fuel anyway. I do not regret my decision and having always wanted a Type S, I'm happy to finally own one. People who have never driven or owned this car, have no idea what they are genuinely missing out on from a fantastic daily driving sporty car. (Pictures, just because the car is gorgeous)

The following 13 users liked this post by AcidZork:
a35tl (04-10-2024), Camaro194 (04-09-2024), cwatt79 (04-09-2024), DubPK (04-09-2024), F23A4 (04-22-2024), JM2010 SH-AWD (04-10-2024), Legend2TL (04-09-2024), MarcoTLX (04-09-2024), obbshu (04-10-2024), Shadow2056 (04-09-2024), Terdbath (04-17-2024), Tony Pac (04-09-2024), vertigo2 (04-09-2024) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-09-2024, 03:12 PM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Received 311 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by AcidZork
I could not agree more. I had a 2021 Genesis G70 3.3T. It was one of the rare late model year imports that had a full 3D digital gauge cluster. I'm the type of person that loves a great balance between tech, performance, looks, affordability and reliability. My G70 was totalled in February this year and the new G70s still do not have a full digital gauge cluster, but some weird half digital/half analog implementation. I didn't like that aesthetic, so I went to look at the '24 TLX Type S. With the addition of the HUD, digital gauge cluster and wireless carplay, it made perfect sense to me. It's about a half second slower 0-60 than the G70, but I don't care. I am not drag racing and I am not taking this car to the track. I wanted, as you stated, "...something pretty and enough power for the occasional spirited drive.." This car is such an awesome daily driver. It feels more solid than the Genesis and from a looks standpoint, I don't think there is a better looking sedan in this segment at all. Is it the most practical, absolutely not. The gas mileage isn't that great, but neither was the G70 and my company pays for my fuel anyway. I do not regret my decision and having always wanted a Type S, I'm happy to finally own one. People who have never driven or owned this car, have no idea what they are genuinely missing out on from a fantastic daily driving sporty car. (Pictures, just because the car is gorgeous)

Urban Gray looks HOT! Congrats on the TLX-S enjoy it! I'd probably switch out for some NSX Berlina Black Y-Spokes too
AcidZork (04-10-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 03:39 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,583 Likes on 953 Posts

Congrats! Beautiful car! Very unique and standout! Enjoy!
AcidZork (04-10-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 10:41 PM
Pro

Received 534 Likes on 262 Posts

Apsolutely NAILED IT!!! This needs to be pinned for all the keyboard warriors.
The following 5 users liked this post by dmski:
a35tl (04-10-2024), AcidZork (04-10-2024), F23A4 (04-22-2024), MarcoTLX (04-10-2024), Tony Pac (04-09-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 04:36 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,034 Likes on 2,509 Posts
FWIW, so to put all this into performance engineering analysis here are the M340, IS500 and TLX Type-S compared for lap times from C&D (2022 for M340 which coulda/probably had different weather/environment/conditions) and cost. While the M340 is fastest, it's also the most expensive so the Type-S is ~1.9% slower but ~14% less expensive as well. The IS500 is pretty close in both cost and lap time. Another way to look at this is to multiple the lap time x cost which getting the lowest figure offers optimum solution of cost * performance which shows the Type-S to be the optimum from a performance engineering point of view.

The following 6 users liked this post by Legend2TL:
bilirubin (04-12-2024), JM2010 SH-AWD (04-12-2024), MarcoTLX (04-12-2024), obbshu (04-15-2024), Tony Pac (04-11-2024), vertigo2 (04-12-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-12-2024, 11:28 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
which shows the Type-S to be the optimum from a performance engineering point of view.
Cheap, fast, reliable. Pick 2.
The S has AWD the other two did not. For the track that usually means added weight and understeer, but maybe better mid corner grip. For me AWD was a necessity as this will be my DD - included in the 10k cheaper price. So the mental exercise is how does the IS350AWD and 340ix stack up? Probably exactly the same story.
Shadow2056 (04-14-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 09:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts
[QUOTE=AcidZork;16933432]I could not agree more. I had a 2021 Genesis G70 3.3T. It was one of the rare late model year imports that had a full 3D digital gauge cluster. I'm the type of person that loves a great balance between tech, performance, looks, affordability and reliability. My G70 was totalled in February this year and the new G70s still do not have a full digital gauge cluster, but some weird half digital/half analog implementation. I didn't like that aesthetic, so I went to look at the '24 TLX Type S. With the addition of the HUD, digital gauge cluster and wireless carplay, it made perfect sense to me. It's about a half second slower 0-60 than the G70, but I don't care. I am not drag racing and I am not taking this car to the track. I wanted, as you stated, "...something pretty and enough power for the occasional spirited drive.." This car is such an awesome daily driver. It feels more solid than the Genesis and from a looks standpoint, I don't think there is a better looking sedan in this segment at all. Is it the most practical, absolutely not. The gas mileage isn't that great, but neither was the G70 and my company pays for my fuel anyway. I do not regret my decision and having always wanted a Type S, I'm happy to finally own one. People who have never driven or owned this car, have no idea what they are genuinely missing out on from a fantastic daily driving sporty car. (Pictures, just because the car is gorgeous)
/QUOTE]

The pics are nice, only wish Acura spent as much effort making it fast as it looks although I prefer a bit less flash in the looks I see the appeal in the syling, paricularly if your on the younger side. Once you get used to having the extra power, speed and crisp braking its hard to go backwards. All of what Acura marketed it against are also daily drivers, but it's closer to an A4 in performance than the S4 and the A4 is only rated at 260hp. Acura somehow managed to make a 350 hp car feel like 290 hp. Same issue I had with the first generation TLX which was rated right around 300 hp but felt like way less. I know in the Audi forums there have been some that have said the S4/S5 is actually closer to 390hp but Audi underates it at 345. That and the weight differential may explain the difference in performance.
MarcoTLX (04-15-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 10:03 AM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Received 311 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by jhb31
Acura somehow managed to make a 350 hp car feel like 290 hp. Same issue I had with the first generation TLX which was rated right around 300 hp but felt like way less.
Funny because the 2015-2020 TLX V6 was rated for 290hp lol

Its cool I still like how quickly the S can take off from a stand still the AWD definitely helps in conjunction with the Turbo V6 in that department.
The following 2 users liked this post by MarcoTLX:
jhb31 (04-18-2024), Shadow2056 (04-15-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 04:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcoTLX
Funny because the 2015-2020 TLX V6 was rated for 290hp lol

Its cool I still like how quickly the S can take off from a stand still the AWD definitely helps in conjunction with the Turbo V6 in that department.
As I stated above the 1st gen tlx was around 300, I couldnt remember exactly what it was but 290 sounds right. It's been a while. My 3rd gen type as at something like 285 hp felt way faster than the 1st gen TLX AWD V6 which I traded it in on. The 2007 had 0-60 in 5.8 seconds. Not fast by todays standards or probably back then either. Frankly i was pretty happy with the 3rd gen type S, the 1st gen tlx was a dissapointment. I was holding out forever for a new type S but got tired of waiting and test drove an S5 and it was an eye opening experience. I knew as soon as i pulled out of the dealer and hit the gas on the test drive I was leaving with the car. Probably if they had the type S sooner I wouldn't have gone on the test drive and have one but I also wanted to get back to a coupe which is getting harder and harder to find these days.

I have had 2 RDX's, 2007 type S. Two TLX V6's and still have a 10th generation civic coupe so I was a pretty loyal Acura guy for a long time. Although the civic I bought for my daughter but she now has a new S5 sportback and gave that car back to me but it's also a great car.

Last edited by jhb31; 04-18-2024 at 05:02 PM.
MarcoTLX (04-19-2024)
Old 04-19-2024, 01:35 PM
Advanced

it's closer to an A4 in performance than the S4
It's also about the same price compared to the A4. So back to Acura's aspirational marketing.
Old 04-19-2024, 04:46 PM
Pro

Received 534 Likes on 262 Posts
As I stated above the 1st gen tlx was around 300, I couldnt remember exactly what it was but 290 sounds right. It's been a while. My 3rd gen type as at something like 285 hp felt way faster than the 1st gen TLX AWD V6 which I traded it in on. The 2007 had 0-60 in 5.8 seconds. Not fast by todays standards or probably back then either. Frankly i was pretty happy with the 3rd gen type S, the 1st gen tlx was a dissapointment. I was holding out forever for a new type S but got tired of waiting and test drove an S5 and it was an eye opening experience. I knew as soon as i pulled out of the dealer and hit the gas on the test drive I was leaving with the car. Probably if they had the type S sooner I wouldn't have gone on the test drive and have one but I also wanted to get back to a coupe which is getting harder and harder to find these days.

I have had 2 RDX's, 2007 type S. Two TLX V6's and still have a 10th generation civic coupe so I was a pretty loyal Acura guy for a long time. Although the civic I bought for my daughter but she now has a new S5 sportback and gave that car back to me but it's also a great car.
1st gen TLX was dog shit. Probably worst TL/TLX ever made. Similar story here, test drove S5 and just felt right. How's yours holding up?
Old 04-22-2024, 05:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by dmski
1st gen TLX was dog shit. Probably worst TL/TLX ever made. Similar story here, test drove S5 and just felt right. How's yours holding up?
Highly subjective in terms of whether or not was the worst version of this model. One could argue that it wasn't an inspired effort and clearly curtailed by corporate bean counters. However, if one wanted a 9G AV6 but with better handling characteristics, a quieter interior, better fuel economy (one thing the ZF9 does help with) and doesn't need the utility of the AV6 sedan then it works very well. So, I won't shame the 1st gen as it works well as a much better version of the AV6. (Having had a 16 and then 19 3.5 PAWS and now have a 16 AV6 Touring daily, I'm speaking from personal experience.)
Old 04-22-2024, 06:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts

I test drove the Type S (same color combo) a few weeks ago, just prior to buying out the lease on my A-Spec. They did a good job with the updates, though I wish they would have moved away from the touchpad like the 25 MDX BUT, still shouldn't be a dealbreaker IMO.